CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, July 11, 2008

Sandwich Wrap

I made my first sandwich wrap. I've actually had one since January that's from an online store, but I admit I asked for it (around Christmas) with the intent of figuring out how to do it myself. I can attest to it keeping my sandwiches fresh and yummy, and it's easy to wipe down. Not to mention, and it's easier on the bank account and the earth than pulling out a plastic baggie every day. :) There are definitely some changes/improvements I'll make when I sew the next one, but for a first try (and with vinyl), it's not SO bad.

Basically, this is how it works:

1. Place your sandwich (just 2 pieces of bread for the example) on the wrap




2. Fold the sides left and right toward the middle.




3. Fold the bottom up.




4. Fold the top down and "latch" the velcro




Here's what it looks like on the outside all spread out



I forgot to sew the velcro on before I sewed the vinyl (for one of the pieces), so next time I'll make sure to do that (and as a result, it's not centered very well). :)

Also, the vinyl is tricky! I looked for some tips online, because it sticks to both the foot and the feed dogs (so you can't put it on top or on the bottom). One person suggested putting scotch tape on the bottom of your sewing foot. We only had this super glossy kind that stuck to the vinyl instead of gliding across it. So the other suggestion I tried (that worked like a charm!) was to put the fabric on the bottom, vinyl on top, and place tissue paper of the vinyl. It was great! After you sew, you just tear off the tissue paper. It comes right out from the seam! I highly recommend it. It did take some getting used to, though, so I have a couple seams that aren't as straight as I would like.

I thought I sewed pretty straight on the old machine, but I am finding it more difficult with the new one for some reason.... practice makes perfect, right? And I think the tissue paper obscured my view at times, making it more difficult to sew straight. I actually just used the tissue paper-like backing the vinyl came rolled with--no extra cost or materials!

I hope to have some more improved models to show you soon (as soon as I get that embroidery software, because I want to monogram some before I sew them)! And I can post directions to make a wrap if anyone is interested. :)

Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

Joy said...

Love it! I just have to convert Brad to using these now!!! ;)

Becca said...

Would he really be a hard sell? Matt is really excited about his (the UT fabric I bought back home). He even wants me to embroider his initials on it (not like anyone in FL would try to steal a UT something, however)--which is why I haven't made his yet. I'm waiting for that software!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I think it's a GREAT idea! It looks to me like it turned out great. (Sorry it had difficult parts, though.)
Love, Mom

Jennifer said...

Please post a tutorial on the sandwich wraps. That's a great idea. Where do you get the vinyl?