CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 3, 2008

Break it up

No, that's not what I had to tell my students today. :) It's part of something that ran through my mind as I worked in the yard this afternoon.

Over the weekend I've been straightening the yard, tidying the lanai, raking and bagging bags upon bags of leaves. And as I uncovered more and more grass (you might not think there'd be so many leaves to rake in Florida!), I thought of one of my mom's favorite verses.

Hosea 10:12
Sow for yourselves righteousness; reap steadfast love; break up your fallow ground, for it is the time to seek the Lord, that he may come and rain righteousness upon you.

As I raked and pulled up dead grass, sticks, and mounds of leaves which choked out the sunlight and water our backyard so desperately needs, this verse seemed to come to life before my eyes. I was breaking up our fallow ground (in a way). It has not been "living" as it should have been. It's been smothered in leaves, pine needles, and other yard debris.

Now it can receive and take in the physical rain it needs to produce more fruit (in our case, grass).

It made me think...in what ways are we not living as God means for us to be? Where do we need to break up fallow ground in our lives and our hearts, that "he may come and rain righteousness upon [us]"? And do you have fallow ground hidden by other things, as ours has been hidden under piles of wind-swept leaves? Is your fallow ground covered in busyness or endless chatter in your head and heart that prevents you from being still and listening?

Lastly, it also made me wonder what things in my life don't belong here, or what things are you trying to convince yourself don't belong (I don't have time, I don't know how, I can't...), but should be present? You see, I never though of Florida as a place I'd have to rake leaves. But sure enough, we live in northern FL and are surrounded by pine trees and deciduous trees. Are there things in your life that don't belong (as I thought leafy trees and raking yard didn't?) Or are there things you're trying to convince yourself aren't right or necessary (pine tress in sunny FL??) that actually SHOULD be there (our climate IS right for them here)?

The things you can think during some quiet time in the yard. :) May we indeed SEEK Him and drink in the righteousness He showers upon us. He is the only thing to quench our thirst.

2 comments:

Susanna Rose said...

Becca,

I am so excited to find your blog again after seeing your link on my sister's blog, Happy Helms. I used to follow your blog before you and your husband got married after hearing about you guys from Jana Barker and anyways, it really encouraged me then and I know will again now!:)
And what a beautiful verse from Hosea to consider as well!

Jennifer said...

Becca,
What a thoughtful post. but what's a linea? is it like a porch?